How Far Would You Go To Stand Up For What You Believe In?
When asked “how far would you go to stand up for what you believe in?” It’s easy to fool yourself. Especially when time is on your side.
If I saw a wallet on the street, I’d pick it up and turn it in. I’d have all the time in the world to do so.
Not so long ago, I was waiting in traffic lights as a car flew passed and a wallet shot out the window.
There it was in the middle of the road, almost directly in front of me. I didn’t leave my car to pick it up.
I felt terrible after. I thought about the owner losing cash, losing an expensive leather wallet and cancelling all his cards. I thought about his wallet getting stolen and about some crock shopping online with this guys well earned cash.
Then I asked, why didn’t I pick it up?
Was it Inconvenient?
Obviously, returning a wallet comes with its inconvenience. You’d need to find a phone number within the wallet and if there is none, I’d need to contact the authorities. That doesn’t bother me.
I would have needed to leave my car. I would have turned off the engine, unbuckled my seat belt, get out and run over to the wallet.
I’m a highly active person so no, this wasn’t the issue for me.
Was it a matter of time?
Time was not on my side. I would have risked missing the green light, aggravating the other drivers in the cue and pushing the arrival time of my destination back by five minutes.
Pressure Makes Diamonds
I believe time was the factor. I believe that I lost my abundance mindset in that moment and missed an opportunity for growth.
I could have held true to my principles, got out and risked being beeped at, but I didn’t. If it happens again, I plan on having the audacity to pick that wallet up.
Pressure against principles strengthens principles.
Comments
Post a Comment